Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Change

On a Tuesday evening 3 years ago, I would most likely be racing home from the mall with my latest Forever 21 purchase. I would shower, slip into my newest dress, and be ready to go by 6:00pm. With a beverage in hand (usually cheap beer), I'd rush to the train stop with a couple friends to take the train north a few stops. Tuesday night was made for beating the clock. We'd stock up on 50 cent beers in mini plastic cups and the price would slowly increase as the hours went on. It was usually very hot, faces glistening and shiny with sweat, bathroom lines 40 girls long... PURE HEAVEN. Or so I thought. It was fun, a lot of fun, while it lasted. I think I missed a total of 3 Tuesdays the entire summer and I'm sure it was with valid cause, ya know, torrential downpours, mandatory prior obligations, or a cooler party (although it was rare that something could be cooler than beating the clock). We always told ourselves we'd be sure to leave before the lights went on around last call but it rarely happened. If we were lucky that night, we would have caught the latest train home. If we were unlucky that meant I'd be begging my newly licensed 17-year old-brother to take the 20 minute drive to come pick us up. He usually would, bless his soul. Without fail, the night would end raiding the refrigerator for the most delicious leftovers we could find. I don't regret those nights, not one bit. But I can't say I miss them much either.
On a Tuesday evening now, you can find me relaxed on the couch, possibly(probably) in my pajamas by 8:00pm, with a glass of red wine, reading a book or chatting with my parents. My boyfriend comes over, we'll eat a late dinner, watch a bit of TV, eat ice cream and I'm in bed by 11:00pm. I'm only 24 but I've got grandma-like tendencies. Is there something wrong with that? Maybe. But for now, I'll take it. Times, they are a changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment